Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Inner Strength.



Inner Strength.
I find myself thinking about Inner Strength tonight.  We have had a testing week. But this time it's not my boys who have been out of balance..... it's me. In fact my youngest has been having one of his best weeks yet this year. He is social, working independently, he has had a few meltdowns, but nothing of real distress like previously. I suppose the only difference has been that he is very unsettled when he arrives homes. His behaviour has been draining. My boy at the age of almost 7 years, is testing limits, squealing and head butting - but not from frustration, just when consumed by a temper tantrum. (I have always referred to it as the terrible two's but it's harder because of his size and strength.)  The developmental years were never typical milestones. My son was very much in his own world during that time.  I guess I should feel grateful and relieved that he is acting "typically" now..... but I'm way too tired!
Again my eldest has had a busy week. I.T assignments due, solar powered inventions to make, he is back at Taekwondo, which is great as it releases any built up tension, liturgy's, leadership assemblies... it just goes on and on!   I have been working a lot with my eldest on his "time management" skills.  Basically he has none!  So I have to help him to understand this concept before he goes off to High School next year.   To be positive, he is starting to make progress, but it's a challenge for him and me.  I need to be extremely patient, understanding and I need to be constantly thinking ahead, choosing whether to set a limit... or whether to let certain outbursts go.   As you can probably gather by now, that if I am feeling drained, tired or just generally "off my game",  I don't cope with the demands of the day.  It's difficult to pinpoint why I am easily rattled. The boys have not been sick, I have been running everyday, I am getting sleep, making sure I take time to eat, not overwhelmed by school meetings, I have been busy activating the Light It Up Blue Campaign in the community.  I can't really explain it... why my energy is so flat.  All in all it has been a relatively quiet week.... that is compared to others!   It's like time is just dragging. The days have been hot again, and I am just feeling mentally, emotionally and physically empty all the time.


But then, after listening to a friend this week of her anguish, pain, suffering and grief over a loss, I was drawn to her "inner strength."  On commenting on her courage and resilience, her reply was simply... "well that's what we have to do."  Her strength inspires me. Even though I am fortunate to not go through a similar ordeal, I was overwhelmed by her courage, her faith, her will and her sense of hope.  I think it is only when you assimilate to friends in times of need that you realise there are many others around you, going through a lot tougher times. So matter how tired or exhausted you feel.... you continue to move forward because ...."It what we have to do!"


My eldest son, drew my attention to something quite enlightening tonight after we returned home from church. The day was full of altercations. Tests of patience, a lack of energy, complaining and nagging.  (No it wasn't ALL coming from me!).  But once home, I received help to cook dinner. My youngest was settled not  resisting bath or dinner time. The house was quiet, no background noise, just our chatter. It was relaxing !   The eldest took great pride in pointing out how he thought, we needed to be at church tonight purely for the reason of, we were not appreciating each other.  It was a real stop and think moment.  Firstly for my "Aspie" son to point out such a compassionate assumption and secondly, that he was taking ownership for his actions, as well as alerting me to mine.
I am certainly not saying that our local parish healed our spirits... but I do feel; the upbeat gospel by our priest, loud, lively music by the youth band, the smiles and conversation with friends afterwards over coffee and milkshakes, taking time to be grateful. It has all made a difference. Sometimes these types of social situations can breathe new energy into your tired mind and body. I guess it was just the break from "Autism" or from "Parenting".  To just be a friend, or a voice or to feel like a "person", .... that helps to build up my "Inner Strength" to keep going.  
AND if I am strong, my children are at peace, and life feels balanced!

To my dear friend in her hour of grief, I hope she will, in time find some solace. I know her faith will be guiding her, while friends walk by her side, ready to listen.


A Strong Woman vs. A Woman Of Strength


A strong woman works out every day to keep her body in shape ...
but a woman of strength kneels in prayer to keep her soul in shape...

A strong woman isn't afraid of anything ...
but a woman of strength shows courage in the midst of her fear...

A strong woman won't let anyone get the best of her ...
but a woman of strength gives the best of her to everyone...

A strong woman makes mistakes and avoids the same in the future...
a woman of strength realises life's mistakes can also be God's blessings and uses them...

A strong woman walks sure footed ...
but a woman of strength knows God will catch her when she falls...

A strong woman wears the look of confidence on her face ...
but a woman of strength wears grace...

A strong woman has faith that she is strong enough for the journey ...
but a woman of strength has faith that it is in the journey that she will become strong...



Dedicated to a Strong Woman

No comments: