Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Year One will be a huge journey....for us all.

My youngest son's first year at school is going to be a wonderful experience. My aim here is to blog my way through the next four terms.  I wanted to share how he grows, his achievements, his challenges. But most importantly, I want to share what is possible how, when people come together, with support, awareness and compassion and what can be achieved. 


I am extremely grateful that I have access to All Saints School at Albany Creek. Not only does it have an amazing staff teaching our children, but it has an over-whelming sense of community. This no doubt, has a lot to do with the families attached to the school and the parish members from our church. Even though this is not my sons first year at All Saints, (he has already completed 2 years of Prep), it is his first experience in a mainstream classroom - under a Year 1 structure.  Luckily again for our family, we have an amazing teacher for him this year (she also taught my older son when he was in Year 4), so was well informed of the boys past. Just the fact that my little guy has 5 days at All Saints is really a credit to his incredible aides that are with him 90% of the time and a woman who I feel incredibly indebted to... his learning support teacher, fondly referred to as "Jeff".  I know she has been the driving force behind every opportunity my son has been given within this school. She is at times my "rock."


A good example of this was on his first day of year one.  He had started on the Thursday, due to the Australia Day Public Holiday. We knew the "bustle" of parents on the first day at school would over-whelm him, so made the decision to delay his start.  To be perfectly honest.... it was a really rough morning.  He had sensory issues with his uniform, as this year we had changed from a polo shirt to a shirt with buttons and a collar. He had new shoes that were uncomfortable after a 7 week break over the X-mas holidays and another change in routine. He also doesn't cope with the heat, as his body temperature is somewhat higher than normal.  I know, when reflecting on this morning, that I was anxious  too. Really not knowing what to expect.  With all the mentoring and advice about my sons high Sensory issues and his "sixth sense" to react to a mood/feeling.... this particular morning it was beyond my control.  
After struggling to get both the boys to school on time, I could already see him beginning to melt down. He was resistant to getting dressed, wouldn't eat - another sign that he is stressed, squealing and banging his head, before we even got into the car.  By the time I drove 2 mins down to the school his traits were in full force. The blank stares, the resistance, the unknown had pushed him into melt-down mode.  We had no photos of him in his uniform, no smiles, no laughter.... I wasn't able to walk him to his classroom, like many other parents and place his books into his desk. Instead I headed straight for Learning Support. I calmly sat him down in the air conditioning and held him as he cuddled into me...saying "no". Within a few minutes "Jeff" was at the door. I looked up at her and fell apart into a crying mess.  My "rock" hugged me, reassuring me that it was Ok.  
At the time I felt guilty that I had been selfish enough to want a piece of normality. The photos, the walk into his room, the excitement of Year 1, the smiles.... everything that I had experience with his brother. The bigger picture is.... I can get photos another morning when he was more settled, I can go to his classroom and look at his desk when he is more comfortable within that setting, I will see the smiles and excitement when I pick him up in the afternoon.  This is just the way it is.  
The final result of his first day at school was all positive. "Jeff" and his aide had organised friends to visit him in Learning Support. They all went down to his classroom, put his books away and my boy had a great settled day. At 3pm when it was time to collect him.... I got my smiles and cuddles.  This child amazes me day in day out and for the first time, on that day... I was at peace!


"The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team."
John Wooden

No comments: