Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 29, 2011

A CURE HAS BEEN FOUND......

A CURE HAS BEEN FOUND...... FOR INSOMNIA!


Yes ....I do not tell a lie.
My new found cure for insomnia is...
Volunteer for the day at the School Tuckshop!

It's only once a term.
I absolutely take my hat off to the Tuckshop Convenor at our school. She is incredible! Now the job isn't that difficult..... or that is what you think anyway.
I mean how hard can be be preparing lunches for children ?
But as any mother/father/grand-parent/carer knows, there are rules to 
follow. I am reminded a little of the "Seinfeld" episode of,"Soup Nazi".
Every "Tucky" (Australian slang) or Tuckshop (cafeteria) has it's own procedures and methods of preparing lunches. It can be for some a rather intimating place to be, especially if you are new to the school or do not know too many of the other parents!
My day of volunteering is always actioned packed.  It was actually the final Tuckshop day with my eldest son at the school. He is off to High School next year and the only one in our family to order for. My youngest doesn't have Tuckshop. It's just one of those "perks" from our years at school, that he doesn't quite understand yet.  I can still remember my mum volunteering her time at my Primary School - Our Lady of Lourdes, Sunnybank. Every child loves it when their parents are called on to help.  The free food (or so they think.... treats for friends.... the extra special attention!)  When your parent is on at the Tuckshop.... for kids..... it means instant popularity!  Even the teachers know who they can bribe for the extra large fruit juice slushies (frozen ice drink) or the "fresher" or "biggest" home made cookies!   It truly does hold a lot of "power/bribery/corruption" within the school structure.  Anyway.... from an 8.45am start.... it is not stop.... until at least 2.30pm.  Missing orders, forgotten boxes, unavailable food, tears, broken slushie machines...the list can go on and on.  After all the lunches are prepared and dispensed to the eagerly waiting two-foot tall mini people, the cleaning and ordering has been done, and the there is finally time for a toilet break..... you are physically and mentally exhausted.  

Believe me I love seeing my beautiful kids at school, playing with their friends.
The youngest handled my presence without any difficulties.
But by the time 5.30/6.00pm came round..... I could hardly keep my eyes open.
With a plan to relax and watch a movie once the boys had gone to bed....
I found myself, fast asleep before the credits rolled.

Ahhhh.... sleep is golden!



No comments: