Total Pageviews

Friday, June 24, 2011

17 wishes from an adult with autism

I came across this article today.......What an amazing young man...don't you think?


17 wishes from an adult with autism.

A thought provoking list from my friend Kerry Magro:
***
1. I wish that acceptance was easier to come by

2. I wish that loving one another was always on our mind.

3. I wish that an "early diagnosis" remains a high priority.

4. I wish that people would stop calling autism a disease.

5. I wish that communication becomes easier for everyone with autism. We are trying.

6. I wish that we find more treatments to enhance the lives of people with autism.

7. I wish that insurance for autism gets passed in all 50 states.

8. I wish that the government would understand the need for services for the autistic in schools.

9. I wish that autistic individuals can one day live their lives independently.

10. I wish that I was capable of helping more.

11. I wish that people would stop using the words "socially awkward" and "retard" in a negative way.

12. I wish we raise awareness for all with disabilities. Those of us living with a disability are doing our very best.

13. I wish for those who are or love someone who is on the spectrum that you know that we are moving forward every single day.

14. I wish that all of our voices can be heard.

15. I wish everyone will follow the words of one of my favorite performers of all time, Michael Jackson who sang in his song called, "Man in the Mirror", If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change.


16. I wish you all knew me when I was 4, when I was diagnosed with autism. For a long time I was lost. Scared of myself and what I was capable of. I never thought I would be where I am today... but I did it. I graduated from Seton Hall University this past May and will be going to Graduate School for Strategic Communications in the fall to boot.(YAY Kerry!) So for my final wish:


17. I wish for you all to always live life with hope. I wish that your days are filled with hope for a better tomorrow, and for today no matter how dark life gets sometimes that you realize you're never alone.
I wish this for you...


Kerry Magro, recent graduate of Seton Hall University
Kerry Magro, recent graduate of Seton Hall University

Kerry Magro is a recent graduate of Seton Hall University,where he majored in Sports Management. He's writing a self help book based on his own experiences with autism called, "Autism: The College Spectrum". 
Kerry also is a staffer for Autism Speaks and writes on their official blog.


Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/lshumaker/detail?entry_id=91607#ixzz1QAt9Phib

No comments: