Total Pageviews

Friday, June 17, 2011

HOW TO PREPARE FOR TONSILS, HOSPITALS AND AUTISM ? Step 2.

HOW TO PREPARE FOR TONSILS, HOSPITALS AND AUTISM ?
Step 2.

O.k... I have confirmed all the respite to begin a week after my son's operation.
I have stocked up on necessary items for the pantry as I know I won't be able to just pop out and buy food. I've loaded my medicine kit with Panadol and Painstop.
The "Wine-cupboard" has been fully stocked for quite some time now...  so I'm set there!
My older son is going to my best friend while all this is happening. She will be looking after  the school run while I'm in the hospital.  The boy's school has been given all necessary paperwork and information. I signed all the consent forms... crossing the t's and dotting the i's.  Sounds all a bit too much hey... but what my reality is, being a single mum, I do not have the back up to quickly drive down to the shops to buy bread or more medicine. I know I will be house bound for a least a week. After that first 7 days,  the respite kicks in.... I will get a few hours to myself to go for a run or go and do some grocery shopping. And it's not just the youngest I needed to prepare for. I had to make certain all my eldest son's commitments and assignments were up to date. All my school commitments were ahead of schedule, all appointments reorganised and medication filled.  
At times I wonder about those families without children on the Autistic Spectrum. I do not think they realise how much effort, planning and organising is involved in just "raising" kids like mine. Remember Tony Attwood's quote ?  "1:16 children".... that is what it is like, and I consider myself lucky compared to others. The energy, time, commitment... all involved in caring for 1 ASD child. No wonder why I constantly feel like I have been shoved into a washing machine and been set on the long cycle!
Anyway back to the plans.........I have organised Ipads, Ipods, his D.S, colouring in books, stories and a few other things to distract my youngest before and after surgery. I have to preempt all of this, as I do not want to be caught out with a melt-down... eventuating in a rupture of his throat. We have movies up to our eyeballs, so the hospital staff had better be prepared for my son blurting out Spanish phrases from his favourite Dora and Diego DVDs for our entire stay.  I have heaps of straws for sipping fluids and even bought ice-cream to try him on.  You never know.
Ahhhhhh!
  
I'm starting to think that after all this has passed I am going to need a nice, short, break somewhere. Maybe to a place where children are not allowed? 

No comments: