Total Pageviews

Friday, May 6, 2011

INTRODUCING MY BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER.

INTRODUCING MY BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER.




"A daughter is the happy memories of the past, the joyful moments of the present, and the hope and promise of the future."  unknown


Today is my beautiful daughter's birthday. She will be 22 years old.
I haven't mentioned her before in the blog because when I decided to start off this venture, she was heavily pregnant, about to give birth to her second daughter.  I figured asking her permission to blog about our life.... would be the last thing on her mind.  
So now that she is well and truly experiencing motherhood in all it's glory, and is suffering from exhaustion and baby-brain.... I finally got her permission!
(It's a Mother-guilt thing!)

My daughter has been like a gift to me.  I never got the opportunity to have a girl myself, always longed for one... but instead was blessed with two boys....hmmmmm!    
So having this wonderful, strong, beautiful, intelligent woman in our lives that I can call my daughter.... has been a dream come true.  

By now you have probably gathered that she is my step-daughter. Z... came into our lives when my eldest son was about 3 years old.  I can remember feeling absolutely terrified of her. It was a very big shock to tell you the truth. But she was a beautiful and kind teenage girl... searching for a reconnection with her biological father... (my ex-husband and my son's father.)  I recall this being a turbulent time in my marriage... it was emotional and challenging facing these changes. Even though I never wanted to stand in the way of this relationship, at times it was hard. I guess the one thing that I kept reminding myself of was.... this girl was innocent... an innocent causality of circumstances.  I did try to ensure my ex-husband had time and the opportunity to get to know his daughter way before our introduction. I had assumed she was probably just as scared of me.  But I think, I also needed the chance to get my head around the many, many indiscretions reiterated to me during my partnership with her dad.  Trust is very difficult to earn back once it is broken. But when we are young, foolish and with a very naive attitude.... holding onto faith and my wedding vows, standing in support was the only option. 
Luckily for me really... because when I did finally get the opportunity to meet Z, I was drawn to this happy, funny, very grown-up, gorgeous girl. 
I really need to credit the exceptional woman she is today to her Mum.  As a fellow sole parent at the time, she raised my step-daughter with unconditional love, support, integrity and determination, only a parent would understand.

My boys have grown-up with their sister being a big part of their lives. She was there when my youngest was born, and has experienced just as much heart-ache and joy as I have riding the roller coaster of "Autism."  She has loved and supported my sons and I, as we all grieved when her dad and I ended our marriage. She has helped guide my eldest through some extremely difficult times - mainly because she knew exactly how and what he was feeling. She has never judged and always accepted my youngest son's traits and difficult behaviour.... and that is an extremely hard thing to do when you are a teenager.  It would have been challenging for her and it still is, trying to connect and communicate with a brother who suffers from Autism. One who doesn't talk back or show affection like her other siblings. I think it breaks her heart, just as much as mine sometimes.
Over the years, Z and I have become quite close. I have been there to witness the first broken heart - feeding her ice-cream and chocolate under a blanket in our lounge room, her first love.... who she is still with.... felt the pride as she turned sweet sixteen, then graduated from high school with a Dux award for Photography. The purchase of her first home with an adoring partner and finally (so far) the birth of her first... and then second child.... two beautiful princesses... just like their Mum. Many many milestones, which I am so grateful to have been there to see.  She is an incredible Mother to her daughters and is surrounded by wonderful friends and family. 
 Time has passed quickly and watching her grow and change has been really over-whelming.  Her inner strength to overcome challenges is inspiring and to watch her become a mother ..... it leaves me quite speechless. I am so proud of this young woman...  
I couldn't imagine our life without her.
My daughter.... and my friend!


Happy Birthday Sweet-heart.
Love Mum xo

My latest grand-daughter....... 
  

No comments: